Our History

“Wewa” – Land of Many Waters”, a well-fitting name for a camp surrounded by 3 lakes in the heart of Central Florida. 

The legacy and memories of Camp Wewa campers date back to the summer of 1925, when it was first purchased by the Boy Scouts with the help of the Apopka Chamber of Commerce for a total of $1,000. The first cohort of Wewa Campers consisted of 149 Central Florida Boy Scouts who spent the inaugural year in tents and enjoying the water features of Wewa; so much so that they declared the camp motto ‘Every Scout a swimmer’.  

After renting the camp for 2 years, the property was then purchased by the YMCA of Central Florida in 1950. For more than 70 years YMCA ran, refurbished, and provided memories for thousands of campers across the world. YMCA in partnership with many local organizations, constructed many of Wewa’s iconic buildings and features that are still present today. 

Camp Wewa Timeline

1966: Construction of a swimming pool to provide a safe, clean place for campers to cool off, practice their aquatic skills and simply have fun.

1969: The North Orlando Kiwanis Club builds Ki-Nor-O Hall, the new dining hall. This building continues the tradition of support from the Kiwanis who have been a strong supporter of many of the construction projects at Camp Wewa.

1971: The North Orlando Kiwanis Club builds our current chapel. This chapel, another “landmark” feature of Camp Wewa, is dedicated to Bev Laws, former President of the Central Florida YMCA.

1978: The first double cabin is built in Front Camp

1980: The second double cabin is built, a new outdoor pavilion is constructed and the Trading Post is completed.

1985: An open-air pavilion is constructed to be used for arts and crafts and nature study. 

1991:  A new Low Ropes Course is completed as an Eagle Scout project, under the direct supervision of the Camp Wewa staff

2001: Construction is completed on “Goliath”, the new 40-foot, 9-faced climbing tower. Incorporated into its design are: positive climbs, verticals, negative climbs, overhands, chimney climbs, rappelling and dual zip lines that run to poles beside Mud Lake.

2003: The cabins were completely renovated and air-conditioning was added. The bathhouses were also renovated and updated

2005: The Archery range is rebuilt and the Chapel was renovated.

Through partnerships with Lowe's Home Improvement, state grants and the “Friends of Camp Wewa” support group, The City of Apopka purchased this one-hundred-year-old camp , in August of 2021. 

After being closed for nearly two years following the Coronavirus Pandemic, Camp Wewa welcomed campers back in the summer of 2022.